When Companies or Directors Break The Law

Who do I report company or director misconduct to?

Who you should report to depends on what the misconduct is about:

  1. If a company has failed to pay your superannuation or isn’t complying with its taxation obligations or similar – you should contact the Australian Taxation Office. However, if there are concerns about advice in relation to setting up or closing a self-managed super fund or investments made by a superannuation fund – you should contact ASIC.
  2. If you believe a company is running a scam, making misleading claims and representations or there are concerns about consumer goods and services – you should contact either the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission or the Office of Fair Trading or Consumer Affairs in your state or territory.
  3. If you believe there is criminal conduct that is not about financial services or markets – you should contact the police in your state or territory.
  4. If the company is not paying your entitlements such as wages or leave – you should contact the Fair Work Ombudsman.
  5. If there are concerns about the company’s impact on the environment – you should contact the Environment Protection Authority in your state or territory.

Courtesy of Australian Securities & Investments Commission.